Diane Stavola Blog

Step 3: More Golden Rectangle

I have been busy in step 3 generating several different quilts and beaded projects. I probably have well over a hundred different color ways for all of them combined. I want to stitch as many as possible, when the opportunity presents.

I took some of the photos and also made a large beaded chart using the colors from the pictures taken at street level.    The colors are quite muted in comparison to the bright primaries of the other applique quilt and bead chart.                                           

I did this chart in Bead Creator Pro. The manipulation of the photos was done in Corel Draw. The cost of beading a 5×7 hanging is prohibitive. So I decided that for my final project I would take one of the motifs and use it to create a pendant. beaded-quilt2.jpg 

I don’t tend to wear muted colors so I went back to the bright primaries for the pendant. As I mentioned, I did many, many color ways and in order to keep true to the original motifs and the spirit of Art Deco, I retained most of the original colors but made them more intense.

The first pendant chart contained well over a hundred colors. In fact, I think it contained about 150 colors.  This made for a lovely chart, but far too many colors. The more colors a chart contains, the more expensive the piece is. And there are many colors that  use only one or two beads. Paying $5 for a tube of beads so that only one or two can be used seems a bit extreme. bead-chart.jpg So I reduced the number of beads to three colors: yellow (gold), red, and blue. I used two different yellow beads: a matte and a shiny metallic. The red and blue are transparent and lined with silver. They are very close to being saturated colors, although that is affected by the light reflection from their shiny surfaces and the silver lining. As the lighting conditions change, so do the intensities and values of the beads. The yellow beads are less saturated. If I had used a more intense yellow, I think it would have overwhelmed the whole piece.    

 The chart at right contains the reduced color palette.  I worked my first sample in peyote stitch. It created a very supple piece of beading. Unfortunately, it was not suitable for the odd count that was required. Increasing in odd count became a problem.

My next choice was brick stitch. This worked much better. The pendant lost much of the suppleness, which was actually good for the overall work.              chart-1.jpg

 I made several mistakes and learned in the process that brick stitch can be cut apart and reworked with few negative consequences. For this I was very grateful, because my most disastrous error occurred when I was three quarters of the way through beading the piece.

As I approached completion, I found that the upper most triangles were just not appropriate to the design. They had been bothering me all along but they fit the Golden Rectangle parameter, and I was reluctant to  make significant changes to the size. I ended up having to any way.

dominance.jpg

   This is the final design chart. The amount required to lengthen the design in order to add the curves at the top was easily offset by adding a few beads to the width of the bottom curves. Those top curves add a great deal to the cohesiveness of the entire design.

Now I just have to complete the necklace that the pendant will hang from and I am set.

                                                                         

Leave a Reply

Menu ImageMenu ImageMenu ImageMenu ImageMenu ImageMenu Image